Are you planning to rent a self-storage unit for the first time? While the process might seem straightforward, it’s easy to choose the wrong option if you don’t know what to look for. Keep in mind that not all self-storage services are created equal. Each storage facility comes with its own set of amenities, and your job is to figure out whether they meet your priorities. In this guide, you’ll learn the best tips for finding a quality self-storage unit.
1) Topnotch security
Among your top concerns before renting a self-storage unit is the security of your items. You might need to store valuable items or sensitive documents, so you’d want to choose a self-storage facility that takes security very seriously. Check whether the facility is equipped with the following:
- 24-hour video surveillance. Regardless of their manpower, storage providers should rely on surveillance cameras to provide enhanced visibility. This allows them to identify people coming in and out of their premises, report any suspicious activity, and notify authorities if need be.
- Indoor and outdoor lighting. Adequate lighting is an absolute must for storage facilities. The walkways, hallways, and surrounding areas should be well lit to clearly spot intruders.
- Door alarms and locks. Alarms and locks form the backbone of any storage provider’s security system. This enables them to report cases of attempted break-ins in a matter of seconds.
- Protected entry gates. By using this security measure, access to the storage facility is immediately limited to employees and tenants.
2) Climate-controlled self-storage units
If you have items that could get damaged by weather conditions or other harsh elements, then you should make sure to select a storage unit with climate-control technology. This guarantees that the storage unit’s temperature and humidity are kept at moderate levels. Climate-controlled units are great for preventing wood furniture from warping, metal appliances from rusting, and sensitive documents from deteriorating.
3) Vehicle storage
When not in use, cars, boats, and trucks can take up a large amount of storage space. You can make this space useful once more by storing vehicles in self-storage units. Be sure to find a self-storage facility that accommodates vehicles. Some providers may offer outdoor storage solutions for larger vehicles such as RVs, trucks, and boats.
4) Excellent customer service
You may need to use a self-storage unit for a long time, so you’d want to ensure that you feel comfortable working with the provider. How quickly do they respond to your calls and questions? Are they friendly when you talk to them? Do they guide you throughout the process of moving your items from your place to their storage facility? These questions can help you determine whether they’re the right self-storage company to hire.
Selecting Storage Units UK provider requires investing time to get familiar with their units and overall customer service. You should never settle for the first provider you come across. Do your due diligence to ensure that you find a high-quality storage unit that meets both your needs and budget.